|Collection||Fort Nisqually Permanent Collection|
|Object ID Number||1971.19.13|
Large map of historic Pierce County, drawn in water color and sienna pencil by Ralph J. Bishop in 1934. The map measures 84 inches by 60 inches, and is displayed in a glass-fronted frame. The main part of the map depicts Pierce County, and around the edges are small sketches or vignettes of specific locations and buildings. Fort Nisqually is inset twice: the upper right corner, and the lower left corner. The map is titled "Historical Pierce County" and bears the signature and date next to the lower left inset: "Ralph Bishop-- Del., P.W.A.P. Feb.1934".
Lower left inset: "Original Fort Nisqually 1833. None of the buildings remain; all records lost--- known a bastion at each corner of a 100 foot square enclosure."
-Next to the word "Historical" in the title scroll is an untitled scene of men clearing land, sawing logs, planing timber, and erecting a post-in-sill wooden structure.
Perimeter vignettes up left side, beginning at bottom left corner and continuing clockwise:
-"First Brick Building in Steilacoom- Built 1859"; "Leschi hanged 1858" (depiction of gallows); "House built late '50s" (depiction of two-story house); "Steve Judson's Residence also remains"; "J.R. Meeker's Store Building remains in Steilacoom City"; "Regular Stage Line, Steilacoom City to Cowlitze Landing, started February 1860." (stagecoach); "Catholic Church was first built at Fort Steilacoom, 1852. Moved piece meal to the city in '68, where it now stands."; "Jail-- Steilacoom City--still remaining"; "First Store to built in the country--Balch and Weber--1851. Lumber shipped from Maine." (building above water); "Also in Steilacoom City was erected during 1853 was first Court House in the state--"; "DeVore's Methodist Church"; "Commemorating First Protestant Church North of the Columbia River--".
-Above the leftside vignettes: "Historical Steilacoom City"
Beginning at the left top corner and across the full length of the map is a scene beginning in forest, goes to mountains with a wagon train pulled by oxen heading West from the central Sun. From Sun to right, begins "Sea" with five plus ships in full sail, heading towards islands and land beyond at far right corner. Small boats are in the water between the forested islands and cliffs of land.
-Upper right inset of "Fort Nisqually, 1843."
Vignettes down right side:
"DeLin and Helpers built a sawmill in Galliher Gulch--185(?)"; "Job Carr's Cabin- built Old Tacoma 1864- Became first city Post Office March 25, 1869. Now at Point Defiance Park--"; "There is a monument in Old Tacoma, marking the site of the Steele Hotel-- 1869."; "Hanson Ackerson and Co. Mill-- 1868."; "Sailing Vessels familiar to old timers--" (five plus ships without sail); "--Monument in Old Tacoma siting McCarver's Home, built in '69."; "Steamer Eliza...Anderson first to arrive in city with mail and passengers-- '68."; "Blackwell Hotel--" (hotel with steam train passing); "Transportation!" (horse-drawn trolley); "Little Old Saint Peter's Church as it is in Old Tacoma, today"; "Steamer Beaver, built in England 1935--Reached Columbia River April '36 and Puget Sound 1837-- Wrecked in Burrar Inlet, B.C. July 1888--Engine at State Historical Society Building"; Unlabeled sailing vessel.
Lower right corner scene, over the scroll end of "Historical Pierce County" title, depicts Native American village scene. A fish trap ("weir") is being used, fish drying, tepees with village people working near baskets/pots and canoes near the water.
Bishop, Ralph J.
Historical Pierce County